Re: signals in ODBC?

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Kovacs Zoltan Sandor <tip(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: signals in ODBC?
Date: 2000-10-26 16:07:16
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

At 10:43 26/10/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>Not sure I see the point. If there's to be a separate connection, you
>might as well just fire up a libpq connection. Someone else already
>pointed out that you could use ODBC for your main data transfer, if you
>like ODBC, and use a second connection through libpq only to get
>notifications.

I hadn't realized libpq worked without Cygwin etc.

>AFAIK there's no fundamental reason that NOTIFY support couldn't be
>added to our ODBC driver, it's just that it would fall outside the
>ODBC API spec. But then a second connection through libpq isn't ODBC
>compliant either.

I suspect that a libpq connection would be the go; there is no facility
that I am aware of in ODBC for async callbacks, which is what you'd want
for the NOTIFY stuff to work well.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_