Re: [HACKERS] Re: Trouble with float4 afterupgrading from 6.5.3 to 7.0.2

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Romanenko Mikhail <mikhail(at)angg(dot)ru>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Trouble with float4 afterupgrading from 6.5.3 to 7.0.2
Date: 2000-08-08 15:40:16
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

At 10:04 8/08/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>No. What float4-to-text really does is *discard* information, by
>rounding off the printed result to only 7 digits (when there are
>actually 7-and-change in there). This means values that are actually
>distinct float4 values may get printed as the same thing:

Thanks guys for some remarkably patient explanations. I now know more than
I want to know about float values.

>I don't much care for this behavior (since it means dump and reload of
>float columns is lossy), and I certainly won't hold still for
>introducing it into other operations on floats.

This makes me think that some kind of binary dump in pg_dump is probably
not a bad idea. Has anybody looked at doing a cross-platform binary COPY?
Or some other way of representing base types - we have <type>in/out maybe
<type>exp/imp (export/import) might be useful to get a portable, lossless
representation.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_