RE: Big 7.1 open items

From: "Philip J(dot) Warner" <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jan Wieck" <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-21 06:55:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

At 22:12 20/06/00 -0700, Don Baccus wrote:
>At 11:22 AM 6/21/00 +1000, Philip J. Warner wrote:
>
>>It may be worth considering leaving the CREATE TABLE statement alone.
>>Dec/RDB uses a new statement entirely to define where a table goes...
>
>It's worth considering, but on the other hand Oracle users greatly
>outnumber Compaq/RDB users these days...

It's actually Oracle/Rdb, but I call it Dec/Rdb to distinguish it from
'Oracle/Oracle'. It was acquired by Oracle, supposedly because Oracle
wanted their optimizer, management and tuning tools (although that was only
hearsay). They *say* that they plan to merge the two products.

What I was trying to suggest was that the CREATE TABLE statement will get
very overloaded, and it might be worth avoiding having to support two
storage management syntaxes if/when it becomes desirable to create a
'storage' statement of some kind.

>I'm not saying I like the fact, Oracle's a pain in the ass. But when
>adopting existing syntax, might as well adopt that of the crushing
>borg.

Only if it is a good thing, or part of a real standard. Philosophically,
where possible I would prefer to see statement that are *in* the SQL
standard (ie. CREATE TABLE) to be left as unencumbered as possible.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.C.N. 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \