Re: Berkeley DB license

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Michael A(dot) Olson" <mao(at)sleepycat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Berkeley DB license
Date: 2000-05-16 14:28:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 06:57 16/05/00 -0700, Michael A. Olson wrote:
>We've talked it over at Sleepycat, and we're willing to write a
>special agreement for PostgreSQL's use of Berkeley DB. That
>agreement would permit redistribution of Berkeley DB with
>PostgreSQL at no charge, in binary or source code form, by any
>party, with or without modifications to the engine.

Just to clarify - if I take PostgreSQL, make a few minor changes to create
a commercial product called Boastgress, your proposed license would allow
the distribution of binaries for the new product without further
interaction, payments, or licensing from Sleepycat?

Similaryly, if changes were made to BDB, I would not have to send those
changes to you, nor would I have to make the source available?

Please don't misunderstand me - it seems to me that you are making a very
generous offer, and I want to clarify that I have understood correctly.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.C.N. 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: +61-03-5367 7422 | _________ \