Re: [GENERAL] Postgres INSERTs much slower than MySQL?

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lylyeoh(at)mecomb(dot)com>
To: (Postgres people)
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postgres INSERTs much slower than MySQL?
Date: 1999-10-21 01:08:15
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

At 04:38 PM 20-10-1999 +0800, Vadim Mikheev wrote:
>You hit buffer manager/disk manager problems or eat all disk space.
>As for "modifying" - I meant insertion, deletion, update...

There was enough disk space (almost another gig more). So it's probably
some buffer manager problem. Is that the postgres buffer manager or is it a
Linux one?

Are you able to duplicate that problem? All I did was to turn off
autocommit and start inserting.

>> How many rows (blocks) can I insert before I have to do a commit?
>Each transaction can have up to 2^32 commands.

Wow, that's cool.. Should be enough for everyone. I can't imagine anybody
making 4 billion statements without committing anything, not even politicians!

>> Well anyway the Postgres inserts aren't so much slower if I only commit
>> once in a while. Only about 3 times slower for the first 100,000 records.
>> So the subject line is now inaccurate :). Not bad, I like it.
>
>Hope that it will be much faster when WAL will be implemented...

What's WAL? Is postgres going to be faster than MySQL? That would be pretty
impressive- transactions and all. Woohoo!

Hope it doesn't stand for Whoops, All's Lost :).

Cheerio,

Link.