Re: [SQL] Problem with timestamp and primary key.

From: Steven Bradley <sbradley(at)llnl(dot)gov>
To: "Esteban Chiner Sanz" <echiner(at)tissat(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Problem with timestamp and primary key.
Date: 1999-07-13 15:24:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have the same problem, except that my TIMESTAMP column is not the PK;
instead it's just a column that I wanted to index. Unfortunately, there is
no solution since Postgres currently does not support indexes on TIMESTAMPS
(Postgres automatically tries to create an index on all PKs) and does not
provide JDBC access to DATETIME columns. For your particular situation you
might try placing the TIMESTAMP column outside the PK (and not have it
indexed) and then use a surrogate key with a sequence. This isn't entirely
normalized, but I've seen worse!

Hope this helps

At 09:14 AM 7/13/99 +0200, you wrote:
>When I try to execute this sentence:
>
>CREATE TABLE ACCESO(
>USR_CODIGO VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', --Código
>del usuario
>SER_CODIGO VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', --Código
>del servicio
>ACC_FECHAA TIMESTAMP NOT NULL,
>ACC_FECHAZ TIMESTAMP,
>CONSTRAINT C_ACC PRIMARY KEY (USR_CODIGO,SER_CODIGO,ACC_FECHAA));
>
>I get this error message:
>
>NOTICE: CREATE TABLE/PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index c_acc for
>table acceso
>ERROR: Can't find a default operator class for type 1296.
>EOF
>
>Does anybody know what could be the problem. What should I do?
>The problem is that I could subtitute TIMESTAMP with DATE or DATETIME
>but that's not compatible with Oracle's DATE and, when I try to access
>the table with JDBC in Oracle works fine but in Postgres it needs to be
>Timestamp.
>Please help,
>
> Esteban

> Esteban Chiner Sanz mailto (work): echiner(at)tissat(dot)es
> TISSAT mailto (home): echiner(at)abonados(dot)cplus(dot)es
> Av. Aragon, 30, 5ª planta Phone: 96 393 9950
> Valencia (SPAIN)

Steven Bradley
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
PO Box 808