Re: [INTERFACES] Can't Update from MS Access (Was - Insight ODBC driver)

From: Sbragion Denis <infotecn(at)tin(dot)it>
To: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Can't Update from MS Access (Was - Insight ODBC driver)
Date: 1998-04-18 08:09:15
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

At 14.03 17/04/98 -0400, you wrote:
>From the FAQ part:
>How do I get my application to recognize primary keys?
>SQLPrimaryKeys() is implemented in the driver. As of the driver's
release, >however, there was no way to query the PostgreSQL system tables
to discover a >table's primary key. Therefore the following convention was
used. The driver >queries the system tables in search of a unique index
named with the using >"{table}_key". Example:
>create table foo (id integer, name varchar(20));
>create unique index foo_key on foo using btree(id);
>Creating this index does not guarantee that your application is using the
>SQLPrimaryKeys() call. For example, MS Access 7.0 & 97 require the user
to >manually specify the key at link time. This key specification is
required to modify >a table from MA Access. See "Why does the PosgreSQL
backend crash every time I >browse some tables in MS Access?".

actually when you specify something like:

create table test06
(
Posizione int4 not null primary key,
Testo char(50),
Campo float8,
DataEOra datetime
);

postgres automagically creates an index named test06_pkey (note the 'p' in
fron of 'key'). I think changing the ODBC driver to look for such type of
index, instead of '{table}_key', would simplify things a lot.

Hope it helps.

P.S. My compliments to all the great development effort coming up on PostODBC.

Dr. Sbragion Denis
InfoTecna
Tel, Fax: +39 39 2324054