Appending to an array

From: "Jay O'Connor" <joconnor(at)cybermesa(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Appending to an array
Date: 2003-04-15 13:36:51
Lists: pgsql-general

All,

I've got a tablewhere one of the columns contains an array. What I'm
trying to do is to append or insert into the array. I know I can so
something like..
UPDATE mytable set myarray[10] = 'some value' WHERE...

..to change a particular array element, and this be used to extend the
array if the array is not that size yet, but what I need to figure out is
how to do that when I don't know the size of the array at any given time.

Thanks

Jay