Re: AW: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AW: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN
Date: 2000-10-13 20:14:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 04:23 PM 10/12/00 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

>My conclusion would be that we need both:
>1. a fast system table only solution with physical/logical column id
>2. a tool that does the cleanup (e.g. vacuum)

Oracle provides both styles of "drop column" - the "hide the column's
data and make it logically disappear" style, and the "grind through
and delete all the data as well as make the column disappear from
view". So there's evidence of a need for both styles.

If you choose the "hide the data" style, I don't know if you can later
recover that space.

However, despite the above I think a 2x "grind through and remove the
data" DROP COLUMN would be a welcome first addition, and would meet the
needs of a very high percentage of the current user base. A future
option to just hide the data would most likely be welcome, too.

http://donb.photo.net.