Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Adam Haberlach <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
Cc: Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, Ben Adida <ben(at)openforce(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)
Date: 2000-08-22 00:50:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 09:40 PM 8/21/00 -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Adam Haberlach wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 11:34:45AM -0700, Don Baccus wrote:
>>
>> > Strange, OpenACS folk use it regularly and all we've done is put a
"report
>> > a bug" link on the home page.
>>
>> ...I'm not sure you noticed, but this project isn't OpenACS. It is
>> an established project with decent management that only needs a few
features.
>> Switching everything over to a canned solution, no matter how good of a
>> toolbox you feel it is, is not necessarily going to solve the few problems
>> we have without causing a whole host of new ones...
>
>Ummmm, who was talking about switching anything over to a canned
>solution? *raised eyebrow* we are talking about allowing the OpenACS
>folks setup a bug tracking system for us and seeing if it servces us
>better then other attempts have in the past ...

Which it probably won't - customization is the key, we're not quite as
stupid as Adam makes us out to be.

Here's an idea:

How about ignoring whether or not a new solution is borne, or the SDM
can be customized to fit your needs with less work than, and concentrating
on what features you want to see?

Has anyone thought about this, or was the last attempt such a failure that
people have given it no further thought?

http://donb.photo.net.