pg_shadow constraint ?

From: mikeo <mikeo(at)spectrumtelecorp(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_shadow constraint ?
Date: 2000-07-05 19:55:05
Lists: pgsql-general

hi, i have a question about pg_shadow and constraints on it.

someone left our employ and i did a dropuser on his id. later,

when i did a pg_dump none of the tables created by him were

dumped. i added him back thru createuser so that i could do a

valid pg_dump.

i tried to create a unique index on pg_shadow on usesysid with

the intention of creating a foreign key from pg_class to the

shadow table to save me from myself. :)

usesysid_idx on pg_shadow(usesysid);

CREATE

</color></bold>then i attempt to create a foreign key from pg_class:

fk_relowner foreign key (relowner)

references pg_shadow(usesysid);

</color>NOTICE: ALTER TABLE ... ADD CONSTRAINT will create

implicit trigger(s) for FOREIGN KEY check(s)

ERROR: Index 'pg_shadow_name_index' does not exist

so i do a \d on pg_shadow:

ERROR: Index 'pg_shadow_name_index' does not exist

</color>there were no indexes on pg_shadow when i started and i don't
know why i

would be getting this index error message after creating a unique

i'm guessing that i cannot create such an index on pg_shadow because it
causes

some sort of internal problems. what i wanted to do was create a "STOP"
for

attempting to drop a user if that user still owns objects? with a lot of

databases i thought it'd be easier for the system to tell me if such a

situation existed than my searching through for that info.

any suggestions would be welcome!

mikeo

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/enriched 1.6 KB