Re: AW: Big 7.1 open items

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AW: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-15 12:40:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 10:04 AM 6/15/00 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

>> In reality, very few people are going to be interested in restoring
>> a table in a way that breaks referential integrity and other
>> normal assumptions about what exists in the database.
>
>This is not true. In my DBA history it would have saved me manweeks
>of work if an easy and efficient restore of one single table from backup
>would have been available in Informix and Oracle.
>We allways had to restore most of the whole system to another machine only
>to get back at some table info that would then be manually re-added
>to the production system.

I'm missing something, I guess. You would do a createdb, do a filesystem
copy of pg_log and one file into it, and then read data from the table
without having to restore the other tables in the database?

I'm just curious - when was the last time you restored a Postgres
database in this piecemeal manner, and how often do you do it?

http://donb.photo.net.