Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Ed Loehr <eloehr(at)austin(dot)rr(dot)com>
Cc: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, webmaster(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Beta for 4:30AST ... ?
Date: 2000-02-22 14:55:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 12:34 AM 2/22/00 -0600, Ed Loehr wrote:

>Can anyone point me to a written description of the expected
>functionality (and maybe limitations) provided by this release of RI?
>I'm not asking for a definition of RI, but rather the status of
>*current* (7.0) pgsql RI functionality, i.e., what one should
>expect...

Jan was working on docs, and I think maybe Stephan Szabo? But Jan
seems to have dropped out of site, again - total immersion at work
is my diagnosis. I actually enjoy doing documentation but I'm swamped
at the moment, too.

In short...if you read Date's SQL primer, all foreign key functionality
is there EXCEPT "MATCH PARTIAL" and the check on the target columns being
constrained UNIQUE or PRIMARY KEY. We also need to assign a unique name
to the foreign key constraint if you don't give one (right now they're
just listed "unnamed") because otherwise you don't know which of several
foreign key constraints failed unless you explicitly name them yourself.

(I forgot that one in my previous note).

http://donb.photo.net.