Re: [HACKERS] A notice for too long names

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] A notice for too long names
Date: 2000-01-20 23:01:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 10:54 PM 1/20/00 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>> > Would it be better to throw an elog(ERROR)?
>>
>> Definitely NOT. Rejecting long identifiers went out with Dartmouth Basic.
>
>But it came back with compilers issuing warnings (hence notice) about
>them. Silently truncating input went out with GNU,

GNU C was hardly the first compiler to correctly handle identifiers
of virtually any length. I doubt if it even makes the list of the first
100...

(I get tired of GNU-worship)

How deeply embedded is the limitation on identifier length? Ideal
would be to remove any artificial limitation whatsoever.

The current situation isn't bad, since name clashes are rare - it's
not as though PostgreSQL is only keeping the first six characters
like Fortran 66! Still, all such limitations are fundamentally
irksome.

http://donb.photo.net.