Re: [HACKERS] Enhancing PGSQL to be compatible with Informix SQL

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Rod Chamberlin <rod(at)querix(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Enhancing PGSQL to be compatible with Informix SQL
Date: 2000-01-06 17:23:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 12:49 PM 1/6/00 +0000, Rod Chamberlin wrote:

> 4/ Informix outer join syntax
> o informix uses outer joins of the form
> SELECT * FROM a, outer b where a.nr = b.nr
> This will require some post-processing to determine
> the actual join conditions.

Rather than go blow-by-blow, why should Postgres adopt (say) Informix
syntax vs. Sybase or Oracle?

If Postgres were to adopt a non-standard syntax for a feature like outer
joins, wouldn't it make more sense to pick the syntax used by the market
leader (Oracle), simply because it would make porting easier for a much
larger group of database users?

Of course, my REAL feeling is that supporting SQL 92 outer join syntax - which
is the approach being taken by the developers - is the right answer.

And, of course, that Oracle, Informix and the rest ought to get off their
collective asses and support SQL 92. After all, they undoubtably contributed
to the development of those standards - I can't believe they didn't fund
representatives to the committees.

But if one were to want to mimic a commercial DB, one would presumably
mimic the market leader...

http://donb.photo.net.