Re: pg_dump additional options for performance

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jochem van Dieten" <jochemd(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump additional options for performance
Date: 2008-02-25 05:39:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Jochem van Dieten <jochemd(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Or we could have a switch that specifies a directory and have pg_dump
> split the dump not just in pre-schema, data and post-schema, but also
> split the data in a file for each table. That would greatly facilitate
> a parallel restore of the data through multiple connections.

How about having a single switch like --optimize <level> and then based
on the "level", pg_dump behaves differently. For example, if optimization is
turned off (i.e. -O0), pg_dump just dumps the schema and data. At level 1,
it will dump the pre-schema, data and post-schema.

We can then add more levels and optimize it further. For example, postponing
the creation of non-constraining indexes, splitting the data into
multiple files etc.
I can also think of adding constructs to the dump so that we can identify what
can be restored in parallel and pg_restore using that information
during restore.

Thanks,
Pavan

--