Re: Release Note Changes

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Note Changes
Date: 2007-12-10 06:20:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec 8, 2007 3:42 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:

> it's
> from

> >> If you don't want to be more specific I'd say "certain updates" or
> "some
> >> updates" or something similar, just some flag to say it's not all of
> them.
> >>

> > Good idea. I added "most":
> >
> > Heap-Only Tuples (<acronym>HOT</>) accelerate space reuse for
> most
> > <command>UPDATE</>s (Pavan Deolasee, with ideas from many others)
> >

> But that's not true either. For example, in my current $dayjob app not
> one significant update will benefit - we have an index rich environment.
> You have no basis for saying "most" that I can see. We really should not
> be in the hyp business in our release notes - that job belongs to the
> commercial promoters ;-)

I don't agree completely. HOT updates is just one significant benefit of
HOT and is constrained by the non-index column updates. But the other
major benefit of truncating the tuples to their line pointers applies to
HOT as well as COLD updates and DELETEs. This should also have
a non trivial positive impact on the performance.

There might be few scenarios where HOT may not show any improvement
such as CPU-bound applications, but I am not sure if its worth mentioning.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee