Re: HOT patch - version 15

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Florian Pflug" <fgp(dot)phlo(dot)org(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HOT patch - version 15
Date: 2007-09-10 19:15:34
Lists: pgsql-patches

On 9/10/07, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> Oh, one more thing occured to me. Without HOT, we not only mark index
> tuples pointing to dead tuples as killed, we remove them altogether if
> the index page gets full. If you modify the test case so that after
> doing the updates, you insert a bunch of tuples with a different key to
> fill the index page, you should see CVS HEAD winning HOT without pruning
> hands down.

Um. I am not sure I follow that. With HOT even if the HOT chain is long,
there is still just one index entry for the entire chain. So I don't see
why CVS HEAD would do better than HOT in the above case. Net-net
there will be equal number of index keys after the inserts.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee