Re: Declarative partitioning - another take

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning - another take
Date: 2016-09-07 10:28:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2016/09/07 17:56, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a query regarding list partitioning,
>
> For example if I want to store employee data in a table, with "IT" dept
> employee in emp_p1 partition, "HR" dept employee in emp_p2 partition and if
> employee belongs to other than these two, should come in emp_p3 partition.
>
> In this case not sure how to create partition table. Do we have something
> like we have UNBOUNDED for range partition or oracle have "DEFAULT" for
> list partition.
>
> create table employee (empid int, dept varchar) partition by list(dept);
> create table emp_p1 partition of employee for values in ('IT');
> create table emp_p2 partition of employee for values in ('HR');
> create table emp_p3 partition of employee for values in (??);

Sorry, no such feature is currently offered. It might be possible to
offer something like a "default" list partition which accepts values other
than those specified for other existing partitions. However, that means
if we add a non-default list partition after a default one has been
created, the implementation must make sure that it moves any values from
the default partition that now belong to the newly created partition.

Thanks,
Amit