Re: speakers mailing list

From: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-11-10 17:05:43
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> But people who are looking for speakers can't possibly be expected to
> know whether they are more like the Wales Python User Group or the
> South American ParrotCon.  I don't have a clue what either of those
> is.  I think it's good to create a SPOC, even if the SPOC is just a
> mailing list of people who will help folks figure out who they ought
> to be talking to.

Well, -advocacy is the clearing house for this type of information,
and is the best place to start for people who are not familiar with
who we are, or how we are organized. Creating yet another mailing list
just increases the problem of silo-ing information.

What if we created a '-speakers' alias that directs email to -advocacy
instead? That gets the information to the right place, and provides an
appropriate 'tag' for the outside world, without increasing divisions
among our volunteers that handle advocacy.

It seems like what is wanted is a clearing house. Or maybe a
switchboard is a better analogy. Directing messages to a larger group
of people seems like the best strategy for routing information, given
that we don't have a well-defined way from getting from A to B at this
point.

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me