Re: NOVALIDATE in postgresql?

From: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
Subject: Re: NOVALIDATE in postgresql?
Date: 2009-02-21 03:57:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Feb 19, 2009, at 1:49 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> From the Oracle manual:
> ENABLE NOVALIDATE means the constraint is checked for new or
> modified rows, but existing data may violate the constraint.
>
> So you are looking for an incomplete constraint?

More likely they want to add a constraint but can't afford the time
it would take to scan the table while holding an exclusive lock. At
least that's the situation we're facing at work.

FWIW, I've been talking to Command Prompt about developing a fix for
this, targeting inclusion in 8.5. I think Alvaro and I have come up
with a reasonably plan, but there hasn't been time to present it to
the community yet.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org