RE: [PORTS] PostgreSQL on Win32

From: Horak Daniel <horak(at)mmp(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz>
To: "'Sean Mitchell'" <mitchell(at)chrs(dot)com>, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [PORTS] PostgreSQL on Win32
Date: 1999-08-18 13:52:31
Lists: pgsql-ports

> I've tried to get PostgreSQL running on Windows NT using
> CygWin as described
> in the PostgreSQL documentation with quite a few problems,
> some relating to
> Cygwin, some to Postgres itself.

There was one big problem with freezeing the backend caused by the cygipc
library which could be fixed now.

> In poking around the web and reading through various FAQs and
> HowTos, I'm
> starting to get the distinct impression that Postgres on Win32 is
> technically
> possible but not really that common or actually recommended.
> It this the
> case, or are people Out There really running psql on NT
> servers to actually
> do stuff?
>
> I'd like to use it to replace an Access database on an NT
> server, but I'd
> like to know if I'm venturing into uncharted territory before
> I invest a
> great deal of time in it.

In my opinion the cygwin port is stable enough (in the core functionality
tested by the regression tests) now but it is a relatively new port and the
last known problem is being fixed right now.

Dan