pg_dump & restore question regarding creating with serial

From: Pam Wampler <Pam_Wampler(at)taylorwhite(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump & restore question regarding creating with serial
Date: 2002-10-04 18:46:43
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi
I am trying to make a copy of one database to another. I have done the
pg_dump and then psql -f filename into new database-- but when I look at a
table that has been created with (id serial primary key) -- -- on the new
database the id does not start at 1 but the number greater than the last id
of the original table. How can I make the id start at 1 -- I would have
thought that the initial load into the new database would be an exact
replica of the original database?

When I do \d for the table I see this:

id | integer | not null default
nextval('"inv_trans_id_seq"'::text)