How to load nulls into timestamp field

From: Pam Wampler <Pam_Wampler(at)taylorwhite(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to load nulls into timestamp field
Date: 2002-02-19 20:56:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

If I am trying to load data into tables:
using psql -c "\copy $file from $file using delimiters | "

and the table has a column of datatype timestamp that allows nulls,
the input record has the delimiter | in its place --
I get the ERROR: copy: line 1, Bad timestamp external representation ''

why? please help

Pam Wampler