Re: opclass for real[]

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: ABHANG RANE <arane(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: opclass for real[]
Date: 2007-05-29 18:10:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On May 29, 2007, at 11:42 , ABHANG RANE wrote:

> I have a column real[] in my table. I need to create a gist index
> on it. But the error is obvious as follows.
>
> ERROR: data type real[] has no default operator class for access
> method "gist"
> HINT: You must specify an operator class for the index or define a
> default operator class for the data type.
>
> Is there a opclass defined in 8.2 or I have to create one. In
> either case can you please give a link for information on opclasses.

I don't believe there's a native GiST opclass for real arrays. Out of
curiosity, what will you be using a GiST index on real arrays for?

Concerning opclasses, have you checked the fine documentation? Just
checking the index provides these two links:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/indexes-opclass.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/xindex.html#XINDEX-IM

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net