Re: PG 924, Windows 2012, error code 487

From: "Abraham, Danny" <danny_abraham(at)bmc(dot)com>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Abraham, Danny" <danny_abraham(at)bmc(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PG 924, Windows 2012, error code 487
Date: 2014-01-13 16:43:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply ...

>From what I can find WSACancelBlockingCall is a Winsock function has to do with networking/messaging and not memory issues per se. So what makes you think it is a memory issue >or are the memory problems a separate issue?

See below for more detail on WSACancelBlockingCall, it might help you determine how to debug:

http://www.sockets.com/winsock.htm#CancelBlockingCall

>Looked at the bug report and the last comment was from Robert Haas who indicated there was not enough information to work with. I would say we are at that same point now.
>In your first post you mention that this is related to connection attempts.
>So:
>What clients are connecting and is it restricted to particular clients?

This is in fact a long installation thread that is using JDBC code, some libpq/C, some psql scripts.
Not many connections in parallel. Just one thread that is opening and closing a few connections to the PG server.

>How many connections are you attempting at a time?
Very few of them

>You said many connection refusals are happening, how many as percent of total?
This is a brand new server, automatically installed.
Once initdb is over ... PG will not allow connections.

>You also mentioned 'Sometimes it even fails the AUTOVACUM process'.

2014-01-07 15:56:11.232 GMTLOG: autovacuum launcher started
2014-01-07 15:56:23.687 GMTLOG: could not reserve shared memory region (addr=0000000001080000) for child 0000000000001354: error code 487
2014-01-07 15:56:23.687 GMTLOG: could not fork new process for connection: A blocking operation was interrupted by a call to WSACancelBlockingCall.

>What does that mean, the AUTOVACUM process cannot connect, it connects but then fails, other?

As you see above, it does not connect...