starting the postmaster in windows

From: "Zeilhofer, Peter" <Peter(dot)Zeilhofer(at)fujitsu-siemens(dot)com>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: starting the postmaster in windows
Date: 2003-08-05 10:39:04
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi from a newbie,
this is my first posting here. I installed postgresql with cygwin in windows 2000. In the cygwin-shell all works perfect. But I need to prepare a windows-installation (with cygwin only as runtime-system) and I haven't found out how to start the server (like "pg_ctl start" or "postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data" in cygwin) from a windows-shell.
If I start postgres.exe I get a backend interactive interface. All the .exe-files in \usr\local\pgsql\bin work fine, but the postmaster is just a link that cannot be started from a windows-shell like in cygwin.
Do I have wrong ideas how to handle this? Is there anyone with a good hint for me?
Thanks very much in advance for help!
with kind regards from Munich

Peter Zeilhofer
EP LP COM 5
Fujitsu Siemens Computers
Mch-P, 46-732

Tel: (089) 636-47520
Fax: (089) 636-47655
Mail: Peter(dot)Zeilhofer(at)fujitsu-siemens(dot)com