Re: Why facebook used mysql ?

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: Allan Kamau <kamauallan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why facebook used mysql ?
Date: 2010-11-09 15:26:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Nov 9, 2010, at 7:04 AM, Allan Kamau wrote:

> have come up with a few
> (possibly wrong) theories.

They all sound reasonable. I think you missed an important one though: aggressive (and even sometimes outright false) promotion and sales by the company MySQL AB.

Why I started looking at databases, you didn't have to look very hard to find PostgreSQL, but you did have to at least make a minimal effort.

Also, my understanding is that if you go way back on the PostgreSQL timeline to versions 6 and earliest 7.x, it was a little shaky. (I started with 7.3 or 7.4, and it has been rock solid.)

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com