Re: Stats Collector Error 7.4beta1 and 7.4beta2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Kurt Roeckx <Q(at)ping(dot)be>, Kevin Brown <kevin(at)sysexperts(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stats Collector Error 7.4beta1 and 7.4beta2
Date: 2003-09-10 06:01:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> So either we do the random signature thing, which I would favor as a one
> time be all, end all solution - or you do the actual from-address based
> implementation by restoring the old IPV4 behaviour and adding correct
> IPV6 behaviour.

My feeling at this point is that it's not worth spending any effort on.
But if someone wants to expend effort, let's go with Jan's
random-signature idea. That is simple, unquestionably portable, and
AFAICS it defends against more than the source-address check would
defend against, even after we got it right. (Consider spoofed packet
source addresses.)