Re: Minimizing disk space

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian von Bidder <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Minimizing disk space
Date: 2010-01-06 16:10:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian von Bidder <avbidder(at)fortytwo(dot)ch> writes:
> With our test dump, the db (after import) is ca. 300M on disk, ca. half in
> WAL files (pg_xlog.) If I could mostly get rid of the WAL (keep it to a
> bare minimum and run pg without fsync, something like that), the remaining
> 160 to 180M would be ok.

checkpoint_segments is the main tunable determining the amount of WAL
space. Lowering it will increase the amount of write activity, but
for a ramdisk I don't think you care.

Depending on your usage patterns, it might be worth making autovacuum
more aggressive to ensure that table bloat stays under control.