Re: Okay to change TypeCreate() signature in back branches?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Okay to change TypeCreate() signature in back branches?
Date: 2009-02-24 01:43:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> There are a number of options at this point, including fixing the
>> problem only in HEAD, fixing back to 8.1 but no further, or making
>> wrapper functions in the back branches to preserve the existing
>> argument lists of heap_create_with_catalog and/or TypeCreate.

> I'd go for fixing it properly back to 8.1. 8.1 is the oldest version
> people still put into production with new applications IMHO (due
> mainly to its inclusion in current versions of RHEL and SLES).

I found another reason to do it that way: 8.1 and 8.2 actually create
an owner dependency for the pg_toast rowtype, meaning you *can't*
drop the role that issued the command unless you hack around the bug.
(8.3 and HEAD don't do that because they figure a rowtype must have
the same owner as its parent table...) So the problem is non-cosmetic
in those branches. It is cosmetic, in the sense that the only known
consequence is a harmless warning from pg_dump, in earlier and later
branches.

So, applied back to 8.1.