Re: Upgrading a database dump/restore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrading a database dump/restore
Date: 2006-10-09 16:27:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The hard part going to be making sure that even if
> the power fails halfway through an upgrade that your data will still be
> readable...

I think we had that problem solved too in principle: build the new
catalogs in a new $PGDATA directory alongside the old one, and hard-link
the old user table files into that directory as you go. Then pg_upgrade
never needs to change the old directory tree at all. This gets a bit
more complicated in the face of tablespaces but still seems doable.
(I suppose it wouldn't work in Windows for lack of hard links, but
anyone trying to run a terabyte database on Windows deserves to lose
anyway.)

The stuff that needed rethinking in the old pg_upgrade code, IIRC, had
to do with management of transaction IDs and old WAL log.