Re: Memory Leak

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Foster <jfoster(at)corder-eng(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Memory Leak
Date: 2000-11-05 04:09:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Justin Foster <jfoster(at)corder-eng(dot)com> writes:
> I am running a test which performs 1000 transactions of 1000 updates
> of a single column in a single table, or (1 tranaction = 1000 updates)
> * 1000. I have no indecies for any of the columns and the table has 3
> columns and 200 records. I do a VACUUM ANALYZE after every
> transaction. A single transaction takes about 3-6 seconds.

> It appears that RAM decreases at about 10 to 100K a second until it is
> all gone.

When you say "RAM decreases", do you mean that the process size of the
backend is growing?

We have some known problems with memory leakage during a query
(hopefully 7.1 will solve this), but I'm not aware of any problems
that would cause leakage that accumulates across queries --- at least
not for such a simple case as you describe. Normally, all memory used
during a query is freed at query end, so the test you describe ought
to run in a static backend process size.

Could we see the exact query/queries you are running, and the full
definition of the table?