Re: tables getting bloated

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tables getting bloated
Date: 2010-03-18 14:37:57
Lists: pgsql-general

2010/3/18 akp geek <akpgeek(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> I have job that does the vacuum full every day for those 2 tables and also
> for the database. By the end of the day, the get bloated.

Do not run vacuum full. Run vacuum. For these two tables, run vacuum
more often, as you clearly are updating it very frequently. You may
want to investigate running autovacuum which will probably take care
of this for you.

For our big database, I run vacuum nightly on the whole thing, and let
autovacuum run as well, to take care of the high-churn tables. I run
the nightly just to keep the autovacuum from running during peak times
on my larger tables which don't churn as much, but are speed
sensitive.