Re: Fresh build on OS X not working (memory)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Gavin Kistner <phrogz(at)mac(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fresh build on OS X not working (memory)
Date: 2010-05-02 02:54:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:42 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> OSX is *notoriously* unfriendly about configuring shm parameters.
>> You look at it sidewise, it doesn't work, and generally won't tell
>> you why it's refusing to talk to you. We document a few of the known
>> constraints in our manual, but I'm sure there are more.

> The fact that they seem to change the needed magical incantations
> every point release doesn't help things either.

Actually, it appears they've finally reached a point of reasonable
sanity in 10.6. It's still true that they reject non-page-multiple
SHMMAX, instead of rounding to the next page boundary like everybody
else does; but the old kluges whereby you could only set the values by
waving a dead chicken in a specific fashion during boot seem to be
mostly gone. I wasn't aware of this myself, not having experimented
recently.