Re: Decrease in performance with 7.3/optimizing a query

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Harry <h3(at)x-maru(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Decrease in performance with 7.3/optimizing a query
Date: 2002-12-23 06:51:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

Harry <h3(at)x-maru(dot)org> writes:
>> ... You could be losing just on
>> the extra sort time needed for a non-C-locale sort.

> I don't see any setting described in postgresql.conf and playing around with
> LANG in the environment didn't make any difference. Is there somewhere in
> particular that I should be looking to set this? It sounds intriguing with
> regards to my problem.

I'm thinking the same. Unfortunately, you cannot alter PG's locale
settings short of an initdb and reload :-( --- the interesting values
are frozen by initdb based on what it sees in its environment.

Before 7.3 the default build switches didn't include --enable-locale,
and so people wouldn't get bit by locale-related performance lossage.
I'm guessing that you've been so bit.