Re: duplicate OID issue when using pg_upgrade to move from 9.3 to 9.5

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Duarte Carreira <DCarreira(at)edia(dot)pt>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: duplicate OID issue when using pg_upgrade to move from 9.3 to 9.5
Date: 2019-01-24 21:02:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Duarte Carreira <DCarreira(at)edia(dot)pt> writes:
> I've trying to upgrade a 9.3 instance to 9.5 using pg_upgrade and facing this issue...

9.5.what?

Perusing the commit logs, I note that 9.5.3 included a fix for a
pg_upgrade issue that could possibly lead to this symptom, see
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=196870f2f

If you are on 9.5.recent, it'd be worth looking closer, because this
is certainly pretty odd. One wouldn't expect a CREATE FUNCTION to
result in assignment of a type OID, at least not in pg_dump/pg_upgrade
scripts --- they should always put out a shell CREATE TYPE first.

By any chance, if you attempt a "pg_dump -s" from the problematic database,
does it emit any warnings (about dependency loops, perhaps)?