Re: [HACKERS] postmaster failure with 2-23 snapshot

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postmaster failure with 2-23 snapshot
Date: 1999-02-25 23:30:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org> writes:
> None of the commercial db's use configure and source code :)
>
> Even if its a header file that we can check for a default setting?

AFAIK there's no *portable* way of finding out what the kernel's
configuration parameters are --- it's possible to find out, on most
flavors of Unix, but the place to look differs from platform to
platform.

I think our best bet is just to trim Postgres' default settings enough
so that an unmodified installation will run on most platforms. People
who really want more backends or more buffers will have had to learn how
to adjust their kernel params anyway...