psqlodbc30w.dll: wrong string termination after SQLFetch for SQL_C_WCHAR buffer bound via SQLBindCol

From: zisi1(at)gmx(dot)net
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psqlodbc30w.dll: wrong string termination after SQLFetch for SQL_C_WCHAR buffer bound via SQLBindCol
Date: 2003-12-16 09:42:13
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi,

I have the problem described below in an ODBC application which occurs only
with PostgreSQL and PostgreSQL-ODBC drivers:

When I fetch string data via ODBC of a column with the "text" datatype (but
also when the datatype is "varchar") of a unicode encoded database into a
SQLWCHAR-buffer, the string termination in the out-buffer is set wrong, as only
the first byte of the string-termination is set to 0 (i.e., SQLWCHAR
character at relevant position is 0xcdcd before fetch, and set to 0xcd00 after fetch
instead of 0x000). The problem doesn't occur with other drivers (e.g.,
SQL-Server or SAP-DB/MaxDB).

Details:
--------
- PostgreSQL Server version: 7.3.2-1 running on Windows 2000 under
cygwin-environment
- PostgreSQL-ODBC driver: version: 7-03.02.00
date: 22.10.2003
dll-name: psqlodbc30w.dll
- MS Windows ODBC-Driver Manager
- Create unicode-encoded database with "createdb -E UNICODE unicode" -> ok
- Create "text"-encoded table with "CREATE TABLE unicode(name TEXT)" -> ok
- Insert of string-data: "INSERT INTO unicode(name) VALUES ('Michael')" ->
ok
- Select in the cygwin-shell with "SELECT name FROM unicode" -> ok, returns
one row with "Michael"
- Logfiles attached: psqlodbc_3092.log, mylog_3092.log

When I run the ODBC-Application shown below, the number of bytes returned in
the indicator buffer "nIndOut" by the driver is ok (14), but the
string-termination indicator at position pOutput[8] is set to 0xcd00 instead of 0x0000
(i.e., only first byte is set to 0).

Is this a bug in the driver (as the error doesn't occur with other
ODBC-drivers), or am I doing something wrong? I appriceate your comments on this
problem, as I would like to make our application ready for use with PostgreSQL via
ODBC.

Thanks for your help,

Michael Ziehensack

BEGIN OF APPLICATION CODE

#include <windows.h>
#include <sqlext.h>
#include <sql.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
SQLRETURN rc = SQL_SUCCESS;

//! allocate environment handle
SQLHENV henv = 0;
rc = SQLAllocHandle(SQL_HANDLE_ENV, SQL_NULL_HANDLE, &henv);

//! Set the ODBC version environment attribute */
rc = SQLSetEnvAttr(henv, SQL_ATTR_ODBC_VERSION, (void*)SQL_OV_ODBC3, 0);

//! allocate connection handle
SQLHDBC hdbc = 0;
rc = SQLAllocHandle(SQL_HANDLE_DBC, henv, &hdbc);

//! ... and set autocommit off
rc = SQLSetConnectAttr(hdbc, SQL_ATTR_AUTOCOMMIT, SQL_AUTOCOMMIT_OFF, 0);

//! Connect to data source */
rc = SQLConnectW(hdbc, (SQLWCHAR*) L"unicode", SQL_NTS,
(SQLWCHAR*) L"ADONIS", SQL_NTS,
(SQLWCHAR*) L"BPMS", SQL_NTS);

//! Allocate statement handle
SQLHSTMT hstmt;
rc = SQLAllocHandle(SQL_HANDLE_STMT, hdbc, &hstmt);
SQLWCHAR * pOutput = new SQLWCHAR[100];
SQLINTEGER nIndOut;
SQLINTEGER nCount;

rc = SQLPrepareW (hstmt, (SQLWCHAR*)L"SELECT name FROM unicode", SQL_NTS);

rc = SQLBindCol ( hstmt,
1,
SQL_C_WCHAR,
pOutput,
100,
&nIndOut);

rc = SQLExecute (hstmt);
rc = SQLFetch(hstmt);

/* Error with PostgreSQL-ODBC: driver sets string termination at
relevant position as 0xcd00 (i.e., only the first byte of the
character is set) instead of 0x0000 !!!
*/

nCount = wcslen(pOutput); -> wrong, due to wrong string termination

rc = SQLEndTran (SQL_HANDLE_DBC, hdbc, SQL_ROLLBACK );

//! Free statment handle
rc = SQLFreeHandle(SQL_HANDLE_STMT, hstmt);

//! disconnect
rc = SQLDisconnect(hdbc);

//! Free connection handle
rc = SQLFreeHandle(SQL_HANDLE_DBC, hdbc);

//! Free environment handle
rc = SQLFreeHandle(SQL_HANDLE_ENV, henv);

delete [] pOutput;

return rc;
}

Attachment Content-Type Size