Re: ERROR: row is too big: size 8176, maximum size 8160

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at>, "Andreas Kretschmer *EXTERN*" <akretschmer(at)spamfence(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, genesup(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: ERROR: row is too big: size 8176, maximum size 8160
Date: 2010-03-05 13:29:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Albe Laurenz <laurenz(dot)albe(at)wien(dot)gv(dot)at> wrote:
>> Or maybe a large column has been modified by
>> ALTER TABLE ... ALTER COLUMN ... SET STORAGE PLAIN

> I thought even then if the backend can't fit it all in 8k it puts text
> out of line.

No, SET STORAGE PLAIN is an absolute override, if I recall the code
correctly. That seems an unlikely explanation though. What I'd bet on
is a very large number of non-toastable columns. A thousand or so
float8's would do it for instance. But this is all speculation without
seeing the table declaration.