Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] Bison 3.0 updates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>
Cc: PGBuildFarm <pgbuildfarm-members(at)pgfoundry(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Pgbuildfarm-members] Bison 3.0 updates
Date: 2013-07-29 23:25:50
Lists: buildfarm-members pgsql-hackers

Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net> writes:
> Might it be possible for the buildfarm client to query the various tools
> (compiler, autotools, flex, bison, perl, shell, etc.) for their version
> numbers and report those too?

The configure script already takes pains to log the version numbers for
most of those things. (Of course, that doesn't help on Windows ...)
The disadvantage of course is that somebody looking at a failure may not
think to compare tool version numbers right away, since the info is
on a page that isn't normally where the reported failure is, and it's
buried in a long and mostly very boring report.

However, I'm not sure that the buildfarm script can improve on this much.
It has no business guessing which tools configure will select for use,
so it can't just go and make its own queries. Maybe it could grep some
of the interesting lines out of the configure report?