Re: 7.2.3-7.4.2 migration

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: cmusielak(at)akio-software(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.2.3-7.4.2 migration
Date: 2004-04-01 15:28:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> On Thursday 01 April 2004 12:12, Christophe Musielak wrote:
>> First, is it possible to upgrade directly from 7.2.3 --> 7.4.2 : ie dump
>> the 7.2.3 datas, upgrade to 7.4.2, then restore the 7.2.3 datas?
>> or shall we do 7.3 upgrade, restore datas, dump, then 7.4 db upgrade,
>> restore datas?

> I don't think you'd gain anything by doing the upgrade in two steps.

I agree; that just doubles the work. One note: you'd be well advised to
execute the dump using 7.4's pg_dump rather than 7.2's. Later pg_dumps
often fix problems in earlier ones.

> I tend to do a schema-only followed by a data-only restore.

That will slow things down a bit because indexes and foreign keys will
be built/checked incrementally rather than in one go. What I definitely
*would* recommend is trying a schema-only dump first to check for
problems. If that loads, drop it again and go for a full dump. If not,
you can work out a solution without pushing so much data around ...