Re: Windows Build System - My final thoughts

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows Build System - My final thoughts
Date: 2003-01-30 21:12:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com> writes:
> Without documented testing and sufficient warnings until enough
> history is banked, I don't think a native windows port should be
> given any kind of seal of approval.

That was my last point also: we have years of track record on most of
our Unix ports, and none yet on Windows. Even several months of
intensive testing by a small number of people will hardly level the
playing field.

> After that, what about keeping the code current?

I don't think that's an issue. We are not blessing anything based on
7.2 ;-). The objective is to merge the changes into CVS tip and have
a first "official" Windows port as part of the 7.4 release. After that,
it'll stay as current as any other port that's being actively used.