Re: Turkish downcasting in PL/pgSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: ntufar <ntufar(at)pisem(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, devrim(at)tdmsoft(dot)com, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Turkish downcasting in PL/pgSQL
Date: 2004-08-12 15:32:41
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

ntufar <ntufar(at)pisem(dot)net> writes:
> flex (flex version 2.5.4) incorporates case-insensitivity in it's
> state tables because if I run flex stage with LANG=C everything
> works fine.

Ick. That is of course why it worked for me when I tested it :-(

> A quick and dirty fix could be implemented by placing
> LANG=C
> export LANG
> in file src/pl/plpgsql/src/Makefile before calling flex.

This is probably what we'd better do. Otherwise we have
build-context-dependency in the system's behavior, which is bad.

Peter, any thoughts on this one way or the other? At the moment
plpgsql's scan.l seems to be the only use of '%option case-insensitive'
but we have enough flex lexers laying about that I wouldn't be surprised
to have this same risk elsewhere. Is it reasonable to try to force
LANG=C in some global fashion during the build?