Re: Function Vanished

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function Vanished
Date: 2001-03-26 21:09:14
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:
> I'm using 7.1 Beta 3, which has been pretty stable up until now. This
> morning, I went to export a function I spent 5 hours debugging on on
> Friday to text so that I could have a copy of the final version. To my
> horror, the function was GONE from the system catalog (pg_proc).

Ick. Were you maybe working on it inside a transaction that you forgot
to commit?

> I have
> not run VACUUM on the database anytime recently ... is there any
> possibility that my function is still present as a "deleted" row?

Should still be there in the table, if you haven't vacuumed. Getting
it out again is another story though. If it was a small enough function,
good ol' "strings" would do to extract the function body, which is
probably all that you really need. But if it's more than a couple K
then the text will be compressed and difficult to spot or extract.