Re: Maybe a Bug, maybe bad SQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain)
Cc: Grant <grant(at)conprojan(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maybe a Bug, maybe bad SQL
Date: 2001-03-22 03:21:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

darcy(at)druid(dot)net (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) writes:
> Thus spake Grant
>> Why does everyone reply to the person as well as CC to the list when the
>> person is on the list anyhow?

> Politeness. You reply to the list so that others benefit from the discussion
> and you copy the sender since some people don't get to their mailing lists
> as quickly as their regular mail. One assumes that they have slightly
> more interest in the answer since they asked the question. Any good email
> client will filter out the dup.

Or, if you don't have such a good email client, see the "eliminatecc"
subscription option offered by our majordomo server.

A further tip: if you don't like getting multiple copies of messages
that are cross-posted to multiple lists, you can tell the majordomo
server
set ALL unique

"help set" will extract a pretty useful description of all the options
majordomo supports (there are a lot of 'em these days).