Re: Per-table random_page_cost for tables that we know are always cached

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Per-table random_page_cost for tables that we know are always cached
Date: 2008-04-22 23:39:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:
> "cache priority" to me sounds like we're trying to influence caching
> behavior, which isn't what's happening. I do agree that we need a
> better way to tell the planner what tables are in memory.

What's been discussed in the past is per-tablespace settings for
random_page_cost and friends. That was meant to cover actual disk
hardware differences, but could be (ab)used to handle the case of
heavily and not so heavily used tables.

Per-table sounds kinda bogus to me; such settings would probably reflect
wishful thinking on the part of the DBA more than reality.