Re: Current wisdom wrt fsm on 8.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Current wisdom wrt fsm on 8.0
Date: 2004-10-07 15:10:49
Lists: pgsql-general

elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com> writes:
> What is the current wisdom on setting the fsm variables
> for 8.0? How is it different from 7.4? Or is it?

Same as before.

> I am assuming these are the values that changed with
> Jan's changes. If not what were those variables?

No, I can't think of any 8.0 changes that would influence how you set
FSM size. There's been some speculation that with the new ARC code,
it might be worth increasing shared_buffers to larger values than were
useful before. I haven't seen any experiments to back that up though.

There are also some brand-new GUC variables that you can twiddle to
influence the background writer's behavior; and the existence of the
bgwriter might affect your thinking about how often checkpoints need
to occur.

pgsql-performance would probably be the most appropriate venue if you
want to discuss this more.