Re: Re: BUG #5602: Recovering from Hot-Standby file backup leads to the currupted indexes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: valgog <valgog(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: BUG #5602: Recovering from Hot-Standby file backup leads to the currupted indexes
Date: 2010-08-05 19:59:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

valgog <valgog(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> This process seems almost entirely unrelated to the documented way of
>> doing it; I'm not surprised that you end up with some files not in sync.
>> Please see pg_start_backup and friends.

> It was done as documented in http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/backup-incremental-updated.html

Oh, I missed that you were copying from a hot-standby slave rather than
the master. Still, your procedure doesn't clearly match step 2, and
that step is the weak point of the process --- the grandchild slave
isn't consistent until it's replayed WAL far enough, but we don't have
any automated support for verifying that. (I hope that's going to get
improved in 9.1.) I suspect you allowed the grandchild to go live
before it was really consistent.