Re: cannot connect to database and strange error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Massimiliano Panichi <m(dot)panichi(at)infogroup(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cannot connect to database and strange error
Date: 2002-06-13 19:56:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Massimiliano Panichi <m(dot)panichi(at)infogroup(dot)it> writes:
> bash$ psql whatsdown
> FATAL 1: FillScanKeyEntry: no procedure for operator 661
> Connection to database 'whatsdown' failed.

Hmmm...

test72=# select * from pg_operator where oid = 661;
oprname | oprowner | oprprec | oprkind | oprisleft | oprcanhash | oprleft | oprright | oprresult | oprcom | oprnegate | oprlsortop | oprrsortop | oprcode | oprrest | oprjoin
---------+----------+---------+---------+-----------+------------+---------+----------+-----------+--------+-----------+------------+------------+---------+-------------+-----------------
<= | 1 | 0 | b | t | f | 19 | 19 | 16 | 663 | 662 | 0 | 0 | namele | scalarltsel | scalarltjoinsel
(1 row)

I trust you didn't do anything as foolish as deliberately deleting
namele ;-)

It would seem that the pg_proc table has become corrupted in that
database. If you are lucky, it's only the indexes on pg_proc that are
corrupt. Try using REINDEX in a standalone backend to rebuild the
indexes. See
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/sql-reindex.html
for instructions on rebuilding system indexes (follow them carefully!)

If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you may be out of luck as far as doing
anything with that database is concerned. I hope you have a backup...